Wednesday, December 21, 2011

26th Week @XIMB

26th Week - 4th December to 10th December

4th December - I attended the meeting for the assessment of our RLLE project at CTCRI Bhubaneswar. We were well prepared but the data was in hard copy. Overall, a good show at the end of the day. We are advised not to interfere in the political and caste problems of the village/region.

I read about Agriculture Produce Marketing Committee (APMC) Act in Swaminomics article by economist SA Aiyar as it is related to the recent political heating of proposed Foreign direct investment (FDI) in the fast-growing retail sector.

5th December - The whole day passed in the training of the Community Participatory Rural Appraisal (CPRA) tool at CTCRI. The training was of 3 hours but the financial estimation for next 15 working days took a lot of the time.

6th December -  I didn't go to the training due to a cold and lack of sleep.

I am reading, again and again, an article 'Youthpal bill' by Rashmi Bansal who is making emphasis on us to live our dreams, not others. As per my view, one should venture into realizing their dreams only when one is strong enough to take the blows. Yet, the biggest training that any of us can get in life is a failure. I had seen hard days recently that I will never forget, but wish not to repeat them again. But each rejection has given me a reason to improve and look for their causes. The ability to never give up mixed with hard work and a positive attitude can even change fate.

7th December - It was a holiday given by the organization to us. I invested the holiday in sleeping. Currently, I am reading through a lot of talk about FDI in the retail sector. Here is an article in this detail. Economics Journal: Who’s Afraid of Wal-Mart?

There is an opening of the PGDM (RM) program through IRMA/CAT/XAT from this year onwards. CAT exam has been included this year to widen the talent pool for applicants. It's a good investment for the future of rural management programs. XIMB 2012-14 Admission has opened its PagalGuy page for the related queries long back on 26-08-2011.

I am happy with the academic program and learning environment of XIMB. It is a mix of theory and practice and involves a focus on real-time projects. Yet, I had hesitation to invite any IIT/NITian to join rural management unless his/her heart beats for rural India. To quote Mahatma Gandhi – ‘waste is a resource in the wrong place’. I am in the right place as per my capabilities.

8th December - Today, there is a Foundation Day Lecture by Shri S. Gopalakrishnan, Executive Co-Chairman, Infosys. I will be missing the show as I have to catch the train in the evening for my field trip.

My work would be based at Koraput, Gajapati and Ganjam districts that fall under Red Corridor. For novices of Indian political reality, the Red Corridor is a term used to describe an impoverished region in the east of India that experiences considerable Naxalite communist insurgency.

9th December - I reached Koraput in the morning accompanied by fellow students (MM, CK, KK) and Dr P.S.Sivakumar, Scientist at CTCRI(Central Tuber Crops Research Institute ). We visited Nandapur block for the identification of Key Informants and appropriate arrangements for the next two days.

10th December - We visited Hinjeripent village at Nandapur block early in the morning. A transect walk was done for PRA analysis. A lot of data was extracted with the help of our Oriya speaking cab driver and the local person working at OTELP (Orissa Tribal Empowerment and Livelihood Programme).